Friday 20 January 2006

Saguaro Cactus - a bit of trivia for today

The saguaro is the largest cactus in the USA commonly reaching a height of 12 metres and an age of up to 200 years. It grows very slowly and by the time it is 50 years old it reaches 4 metres tall. Somewhere between 65 and 70 years it develops its first arm and is considered mature at 85 years. The Saguaro only grows in the area of southern Arizona and extends into western Mexico. It requires a reasonable amount of water and can swell substantially when it rains. They can be damaged by frost, lightning and wind as well as by the gila woodpecker who uses it as its pecking tree. I won't go into a lot of detail about this cactus but it is rather interesting and anyone who wants to learn more only need type saguaro cactus into google to come up with a plethora of sites. That's your tidbit of knowledge for today.

My husband said I should explain yesterday's photo further. The camel is actually made of wheel rims.

Today we headed into Quartzsite again and walked around a larger part of the "Main Event". Again booths and booths of rocks and gems and more and more junk. We purchased a long handled squeegee. I guess that means we need to clean! Then we drove around some more east on I-10 and then north and west back to our park. On the way back we stopped at the Country Store in Brenda to pick up a few vegetables so that I could make my famous Hamburger Stew. It's a favourite for both of us and since it has cooled off, it's good weather for stew.

It is still bright and sunny but only about 64F today. At least the wind that we had yesterday died down so it wasn't as chilly walking around the flea market today.

Don't expect tonight will be any more exciting than stew and TV!

The photo today is of guess what - a saguaro cactus!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandra!

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I hope you'll stop by again! Wow, the happy travellers - that must be such an adventure to drive around everywhere! My husband would love to do that. I see you mentioned Stittsville - are you from here in Ottawa?

    The scenery where you are looks so nice and ....warm. It's snowing 15 cm here today!! Yuck!

    By the way, I LOVE Cracker Barrel - I am a Cracker Barrel addict when we are in the States and I especially love their store. We haven't been down there since May, but we'll have to remedy that soon. :)

    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.